Intro

USE IT UP, WEAR IT OUT. BUY AMERICAN, OR DO WITHOUT!

The every-day choices we make as consumers affect the health of American industry. As with any worthwhile discipline, such as a diet, in order to assure success, we need to learn to set manageable goals that we can live with. Although we each may feel a small part of the picture, together we can accomplish much. Especially as we educate and influence others as to how they can make a difference.

Please scroll to the bottom of the page for valuable Made in the USA links, including State-by-State. I also would like this blog to be intereactive, so please leave comments to let us know of your efforts to support the Buy American effort!

Saturday, January 15, 2011

Is Soy Milk "Green"?

Today's breakfast:  I'm using up the last of a carton of organic vanilla soymilk on my cereal.  Hmm . . . I wonder where this was made?  (I'm beginning to take note of such things.)  It doesn't say!

"Distributed by Kikkoman Sales USA, Inc."  It's a processed food.  It comes in an aseptic Tetra Brik package.

On the other hand, the jug of milk in my fridge comes from a dairy that has a plant in my county, the jug is recyclable, and milk is rated lower on the scale of cold-sore inducing foods at this helpful site:  http://www.herpes-coldsores.com/diet_and_nutrition_with_herpes.htm#LysineArginine

You will probably have different criteria, but for me the scales have tipped in favor of real milk.  The reason I buy the soy milk is because it is handy to have on the shelf in case I run out of dairy milk (a true family emergency worthy of a husbandly or teen snarl).  Okay, I see my powdered milk comes from Middleton, Wisconsin.  Not local, but better than "distributed in the U.S. by . . ."  and it would serve in a pinch if I forget to buy milk in time for breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment